For Project #3, I would like to write about the discourse community of choral departments. I have been in choruses and singing groups since fifth grade, so it is very familiar to me and I have learned a lot about the similarities and differences between choirs and groups outside of the choral department. Many people might not think so, but choirs and other singing groups have their own set ways of doing things. It is, without a doubt, a discourse community.
Choirs and singing groups have their own set of common goals. As singers, we want to improve our voices and vocal ranges. We also want to work well together, sound good, have fun, and in more competitive groups, win titles.
The choral department has its own language and ways of communication. We communicate through music, and our love of singing. We have to be able to sight-sing and read music. A basic understanding of music theory is necessary. We use music terms that many people would not understand if they were not in the choral department. Performances also go along with the communication and language. In order to keep things organized, we all need to know what's going on and stay "in tune" with one another, in every way possible.
People in choral groups are expected to help each other and be kind to one another. In order to make it as a group, teamwork and cooperation is extremely important. A successful choir or singing group cannot happen without the cooperation of each and every member.
Some choirs do not require auditions, but many do. It is not just about talent. It is about hard work and a desire to sing and improve, and to be part of a group of others who share the same characteristics and desires. You cannot simply be "born into" the choral department. Even the best of singers have to work hard to be accepted.
For this project, I may interview individuals in choral groups, as well as choral advisors or directors. I am interested in this discourse community because it is something I have grown up with and that I love dearly. Singing has been a huge passion of mine ever since I was very little. The choral department is a world all its own, even though many might not see how. I want to show people how truly different it is, yet how similar it is to other common discourse communities as far as Swales' six characteristics go.
Hi Holly,
ReplyDeleteThis is a good topic proposal. I like the idea of focusing on choral groups, but it might make sense to focus on one specific one, then you can make larger claims about these groups overall from that specific d.c. As you begin drafting interview questions and looking at specific genres/texts, keep in mind that you're trying to find out something new about how discourse communities influence language use and how language use influence discourse communities. Like the other authors we've read, one of your main arguments can be how we need to see writing and language use within a social-contextual framework because it helps us to understand and be successful with writing/language. You can certainly remain open about what you want to find out from your ethnography, but keep the goals of the project in mind. You're already off to a good start. Keep it up and let me know if you have any questions. I'm here to help.